Let’s get right to it because infant twins don’t leave you much time for leisurely reminiscing. Or leisurely anything else. Consider this Living With Twins Tip 1: Get over your enjoyment of leisure.
My twins spent nearly the entire pregnancy transverse to the point that they broke one of my ribs (confirmed by x-ray) around 7 months. But right at the time that most twins are being born, 35-36 weeks, Baby A flipped head down and Baby B settled in as breech. Since I had previously delivered 3 babies vaginally my doctors decided that despite the breech baby I was a great candidate to have the twins the same way, if they ever decided to be born.
Like an elephant I was surely pregnant for two years and so (at 38 weeks) I was scheduled to be induced…unlike an elephant. On the day of the induction I was to call the OB unit at 4am to make sure that they had room for me. I figured this was just some strange formality, but let me assure you that it was not.
Middle of the night:
* They call and tell me not to come, they’re full. Call back later.
* Text my doula friend.
* Text my babysitter friend.
Ridiculously Early o’clock:
* I call back. Still full.
* Cry on the phone with the nurse. I’m so pregnant.
* Hang up
* Cry More
* Text all the people
* Have the babysitter come because surely they’re going to call me soon.
* Hubby and I go out for breakfast.
* Post pitiful pictures on FB.
* Still full and can’t tell me when they might have a bed for me
* Hubby and I go to Ikea and buy a changing table because despite three kids and 38 weeks we don’t have one
* Post more pitiful pictures on FB and more texting sympathetic people
* Check in with the hospital. Maybe I can annoy them into admitting me. No room in the inn.
* Most pathetic homecoming ever
* Explain to confused children why I’m still pregnant
* Cry more and take a nap
* Hubby goes for a run
* Continue to gestate
* Get a Frozen Lemonade from Chick Fil A
* Read book to current baby of the family
* Hospital finally calls!
* Just over 12 hours after I was supposed to be induced we are finally on our way to the hospital!!